1. Feeling in touch with the suffering of my fellow human beings.
2. Reaching out for spirituality as a way for seeing the world.
3. Exploring the worlds of philosophy and religion to seek out social frameworks for dealing with how society treats the weakened “other.”
4. Realizing everyone is, deep down, experiencing just as much suffering as me.
5. Learning how to write not just technical scientific papers, but also to write subjective narratives about various subjects I care about.
6. Learning to see through the deep evil that is capitalism (anything that puts a dollar sign on Life mind as well be called “Satanically evil.”)
7. Feeling in touch with those who are the targets of American war, racism, and sexism.